Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Hardest Job in the World

I have heard often enough that the hardest job in the world is being a mother what with its 24/7 responsibilites and far too little appreciation for all we do. We take care of bruised knees, egos and hearts all the while feeling every single hurt and anxiety ourselves, sometimes reliving our own childhood angst through these amazing children.  Moms spend countless hours ruminating over what is best for their children while trying to balance their happiness with teaching respect and responsibility.  As a mom, your children idolize you, come to you with all their questions, think you are both beautiful and amazing...and then they become teenagers.

Did you know that the average mom loses as many brain cells as her teenager feels he is gaining daily?  Think you are smart and interesting?  Take a moment and talk with your teenager and you might be shocked to discover just how stupid you have become.  Like so many other times in my life, I swore this would never happen to me but, alas, (as my teen would be more than happy to point out), I was wrong again.  Worse than this, I have another soon-to-be teen in the offing just waiting to knock me off my once-polished pedestal--the writing is already on the wall; the eye roll, the smirk, the overall annoyance at any and all questions posed to him. It is not pretty.  Each time I hear some newbie mom complaining about sleep deprivation, play date issues or milestone hitting, I just want to tell them to stop and savour every moment.  Those issues will all seem like child's play in a few years...especially when faced with your rapidly declining intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment