Thursday, August 16, 2012

Question Marks

I am not a patient person by nature but I have had to cultivate at least a little patience over the past few years, less for my own self-preservation, but more to set an example and be a role model for my children. Let's face it, what type of parent would I be if I went off half-cocked over every alleged atrocity I feel I have had to deal with on a daily basis? That said, they have seen 'the real me' more often than I would like especially where our 'unemployment in seeming perpetuity' is concerned or my unlucky entanglement with these two trials is concerned as well.

Jury selection for one trial which had previously be continued 5, yes 5, times already was supposed to have started this past Wednesday.  I had even received a lovely email stating that this time (if I was dumb enough to believe it) there would be no more continuances and the trial would be happening as planned. Given all the trouble I have already experienced with the court, I did not believe the email which is the first truly smart thing I have done in a very long time. That said, my lack of confidence in all things legal these days did not for a moment lessen the blow when I learned that this trial would again not go off as planned.  Too many motions, a proposed deal on the table now...whatever.  It still means more waiting, more anxiety, more doubts and more all around frustration.

Two and a half years of legal runaround as a subpoenaed witness in two trials. When I think back to the day that I became a victim when I was robbed (which was two days before my husband lost his job...notice neither of these issues have been resolved to date), never did I think that reporting the crime would victimize me even more. All told, these trials have been continued a total of 12 times. I suppose it really is true, the wheels of justice turn slowly but sometimes they just grind to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment