Thursday, January 31, 2013

Where Did He Go?

Okay, I have looked everywhere.  I checked downstairs, upstairs and outside but there is no sign of my husband anywhere.  I am staring to get really worried because his car is missing, too.  He is always here after I drop the children off at school so I just cannot imagine why his car would not be in the driveway or why he is not sitting at the computer when I walked in.  Oh, wait a minute...he got a job!  He is not here because he is at work. Strange.  I suppose this is yet another 'new normal' for us.  It is going to take a while to get used to, you know?  Three years is a long time to be out of work and from my perspective to have another person hanging out with you daily when you are used to riding solo was no walk in the park.  We have always had very clearly defined areas of responsibility with my husband's being work and mine being the children, the house, the errands and, of course, Phoebe.  With him home for so long, he started encroaching on my territory which was definitely a double-edged sword. On the one hand, he took over all the after school driving which was fabulous.  I thought a lot about how I wanted to handle the 'flip-side' explanation so that I would not sound like a wench nor would I hurt my husband's feelings. Suffice it to say, then, that I am a very controlling person who enjoys being solely in charge of her domain--having to include my husband in the daily decision-making process really cramped my style (was that PC enough?).

That said, I am going to miss the morning coffee he always bought for me and the lunch companion with whom I shared all my thoughts, anxieties and dreams.  All I know is Phoebe had better watch out because I am going to talk her little fluffy ears off.  So the way I see it, it is a total 'win' for me as my husband is working and my new companion only looks at me affectionately but offers no opinions.  It is nice to start to feel normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment