Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Anti-Resolution

It is the second day of the new year and I am already tired of listening to everyone's far-fetched resolutions for personal health, mental engagement and social awareness.  To be honest, you and I both know that a large percentage of these high-minded though well-intentioned resolutions will not be adhered to much beyond the end of January.  Not only that, but I find it hard to believe that so many hopeful people will become more self-actualized or, worse yet, stay 'true to themselves' ( I have never really understood that one) until year end or beyond. Please don't misunderstand me.  I do give these resolution-makers credit for their eagerness, goal setting ability and all around optimism, but I ascribe to the 'actions speak louder than words' mentality that makes me the ever unpopular realist in my family.

So, this year, as in years past, I did not make any resolutions that I know I cannot keep.  I also never promise anyone anything for the same reason. Instead, this year I decided to change it up and  run counter to the popular norm of attempted bettering oneself for the new year. I decided that it ought be more fun to turn my life on its edge and model some less desirable behavior. For instance, lots of people start exercise regimes but I am going on a feeding frenzy, a veritable descent into couch potato heaven.  Be true to myself?   I am not even sure I like myself these days so why be true, maybe if I model myself after someone else, I might be happier.

By now you may be thinking that I really did fall off the edge and that I must have lost all common sense. Let me assure you that I still have all my marbles...they may be a little mixed up, but they are all there. I am simply so tired of rhetoric and of people all talking the talk, but not following through with their actions. It may seem simplistic but I just wish that people would spend less time talking and pontificating about all the changes and improvements they are going to make to their bodies and their minds and just do it.  Stop telling me and just show me.  Let 2013 be a year of action, not talk.  Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment